When visiting Barbados, you don’t want to miss the charming fishing village of Oistins. Oistins is one of the best places on the island for surfing, seafood, and fantastic beaches. In this Oistins Barbados travel guide, we’ll break down best things to see, do, and eat so you can make the most of your visit.
About Oistins Barbados
Oistins is located on the south coast of Barbados in the Christ Church Parish. This relatively quiet coastal area is best known for the fresh fish market and the famous Oistins Friday Night Fish Fry. It’s also a beautiful place to catch some waves or relax on peaceful white sand beaches with calm waters. In Oistins, it’s all at your fingertips.
The main town of Oistins stretches along the Caribbean Sea from St. Lawrence Gap and Maxwell Beach to Freights Bay and Enterprise Beach. As you move inland, you’ll find residential neighborhoods and convenient amenities like shops, grocery stores, and pharmacies.
If you’re traveling by car, Oistins is only about 10 – 15 minutes away from Grantley Adams International Airport and 15 minutes away from Bridgetown.
Things To Do In Oistins
These are some of the best things to do in Oistins for travelers.
1. Take Surfing Lessons
The waves are usually gentle enough for rookie surfers, but they can also get impressive when big swells come. Keep an eye out for friendly sea turtles on clear days.
2. Oistins Friday Night Fish Fry
On Friday night, Oistins is the place to be in Barbados. In the downtown area next to the fish market, restaurants and vendors sell fresh seafood and other delicious grilled dishes at the renowned Friday Fish Fry.
Grab a seat at a picnic table and enjoy the block-party atmosphere and live music alongside local residents and other travelers. The Oistins Fish Fry is a great opportunity to sample fish cakes, macaroni pie, rum punch, and flying fish, a national dish of Barbados.
3. Visit Miami/Enterprise Beach
Hailed as one of the most beautiful beaches on the entire island of Barbados, Miami Beach is the perfect place to sunbathe, snorkel, or have a picnic. There are also snack stands and beach bars nearby if you need to refuel.
4. Tour the Banks Brewery
Banks is classic Bajan beer, and the Banks Brewery Tour will teach you all about the history and manufacturing of this beloved beverage. There are three tours each day and an onsite bar for tasting.
5. The Globe Drive-in Theater
If you need something to do after dark, catch a show at The Globe Drive-in Theater. The Globe is open Wednesday through Sunday and it’s just a short drive from Oistins.
Places To Stay In Oistins
Looking for places to stay in Oistins? You’re in luck! Oistins has a wide range of accommodations from luxury to budget-friendly. It’s also a great place to find beach house rentals for families or large groups.
1. Butterfly Beach Hotel | Book Now
At the Butterfly Beach Hotel, you can choose from standard hotel rooms and studio apartments with kitchens. Butterfly Beach is right on the water at Maxwell Beach and guests have access to a pool, onsite restaurant, and bar.
2. Little Arches Boutique Hotel | Book Now
If you need an adults-only getaway, Little Arches Boutique Hotel has ten guest rooms, gorgeous sea views, an upscale onsite restaurant, and easy access to the best beaches in Oistins.
2. Beach View Cottage | Book Now
This charming beachfront cottage is just steps from Maxwell Beach. It has three bedrooms, a spacious kitchen, and air conditioning in the bedrooms. The open layout gives the entire home a breezy, tropical ambiance.
3. Cotton House 2 | Book Now
If you are traveling with a large group and want to be close to the action at Freights Bay, Cotton House 2 is the way to go. This large and open beachfront home gives you direct access to one of the best surf spots on the island while offering endless relaxation with a hot tub, hammock, and a spacious patio.
Places To Eat In Oistins
You won’t run out of fabulous places to eat in Oistins, Barbados. Below are some of the top places to try.
- De Roti Shop: Try a home-cooked Roti wrap at this charming lunch spot.
- Friday Night Fish Fry: Grab a plate of meat, fish, and vegetables fresh off the grill.
- Surfers Cafe: A wonderful place to grab breakfast or lunch after a big surf.
- Bliss Cafe: Brunch, breakfast, and waffles with outdoor seating and delectable milkshakes.
- Cafe Luna: Perfect for an elegant fine dining experience under the stars with top-notch food and wine.
Read more about the best restaurants in Oistins in this guide.
Best Day Trips from Oistins
Because Barbados is a small island, you can travel most places in under an hour. From Oistins, you’ll have easy access to the main road, making this a great starting point for adventures further afield.
It’s possible to take local buses and ZR vans to get around the south and west coasts, but for more remote destinations, it’s better to have a rental car. There are also tour operators who offer guided experiences.
Here are some activities to experience when visiting Barbados:
- Animal Flower Cave: Located at the northern tip of the island, this sea cave offers impressive views and natural pools for swimming.
- St. Nicholas Abbey: Visit the historical main house, ride the Heritage Railway to the Cherry Tree Hill lookout point, and sample rum made at the onsite distillery.
- Harrisons Cave: Take a breathtaking tram ride through a massive cave system in the center of Barbados.
- Catamaran Tour: Enjoy Barbados from the water with a lively catamaran cruise. These experiences usually depart from Bridgetown, which can be reached by public transportation from Oistins.
- Bathsheba Beach and the East Coast: Head to the east coast of Barbados for rugged landscapes, hiking, and world-class surfing at Soup Bowl.
- Carlisle Bay: Carlisle Bay in Bridgetown is a great spot for snorkeling, scuba diving, or just enjoying the incredibly clear water of the Caribbean islands. Traveling to Barbados with kids? Head to Boatyard Beach Club for great facilities and plenty of water toys.
- Bridgetown and the Garrison UNESCO World Heritage Site: The biggest city in Barbados has a rich history and interesting museums if you need a break from the sun.
Oistins Travel Guide: Final Thoughts
When visiting Barbados, you can’t miss the laid-back town of Oistins. With fine dining and casual food spots, big waves and calm beaches, luxury hotels and quaint home rentals, Oistins really does have it all.
Planning a trip to Barbados? These guides can help:
- The Ultimate Barbados Travel Guide
- St. Philip Barbados Travel Guide
- Bridgetown Barbados Travel Guide
- Barbados Accommodation Guide